Fail Early, Fail Fast, Fail Often

These quotes are taken from the article titled 'Wanna Create A Great Product? Fail Early, Fail Fast, Fail Often' found on FastCoDesign.

“Including quick prototyping in the design process will not only help communicate your ideas but allow you to harness one of the virtues of creating something truly innovative: failure.”
“In tandem with design explorations, rapid prototyping is a cyclical and iterative process. The basic cycle allows for testing and refining of the product or service early and often: ideate, prototype, test, analyze, refine, and repeat. The key understanding in adapting a design process to an iterative one is that failure must be expected and embraced. This process also creates opportunity to remedy those failures early on -- and more efficiently.”
They both explain the virtues of testing-out interactive design ideas early on and throughout the design process. Through the development of basic prototypes tested on potential users, ideas can be tested, evaluated and re-iterated, encouraging the development of stronger solutions.

I definitely want this system of continuous prototyping and iteration of ideas to be part of my own design practice so that I can develop better solutions to the problems I face. I also feel this system will help me overcome my reluctancy to make decisions and try-out my ideas early on in the design process without worrying about failure, as Thomas Edison said:
“I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
Failure is something I have to embrace to bring my solutions to new heights.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.